Battery Disposal in London
As our dependence on gadgets has risen, so has the number of batteries being sent for disposal around the world. There’s one big positive to be taken from the battery manufacturing industry, and that is that they have improved the quality and longevity of rechargeable batteries, meaning that the popularity of disposable batteries has serious declined.
Here at Enviro Waste, we are considerate of every waste stream, and batteries are no different. We have looked at every step of the battery disposal process and improved it to make it more sustainable. We are the environmental and happy choice for our clients, who are thrilled to know that they have a reliable and trustworthy partner with a 100% landfill diversion rate for their waste batteries.
We are the waste partner that makes disposals hassle-free and sustainable, seeing waste as a resource, and putting the environment first.
Some key facts about our battery recycling activities
- We have a 100% recycling rate (all batteries avoid landfill)
- All batteries are sorted and segregated by type (UPS, NiCad, Lead Acid, Lithium)
- Batteries are recycled right here in the UK at our partner facility in Halifax
Why should you recycle batteries with us?
Unlike some other waste types, like plastic and metal, the UK has successfully developed the infrastructure required to recycle all of our own batteries, removing the need to export them. This has led to a great deal of competition and several high-quality battery recycling facilities popping up around the country. 20,000 tonnes of batteries are now recycled in the UK each year, recovering huge amounts of precious metals and capturing many useful chemicals in the process.
The battery recycling process
The battery process depends completely on what type of battery is being recycled, but essentially for commercial batteries, a hammer mill smashes the battery into tiny pieces, which are placed in a vat full of liquid chemicals. The plastic floats, while the metals fall to the bottom. The plastic (polypropylene) is taken away for recycling, while the metal and lead are further separated into different waste streams. Lead is smelted into ingots which are sold back to the battery manufacturing industry.
What most people don’t know is that almost all batteries can be recycled, such as:
- AAA, AA, C, D, 9V and Button Batteries
- Car Batteries
- Laptop Batteries
- Phone & Camera Batteries
- Industrial Batteries
The sad thing is that more than 90% of batteries around the world don’t get recycled, and perhaps millions of dead batteries sit in drawers because people don’t know what to do with them. For consumer batteries, your local recycling centre can help but when it comes to commercial batteries, it’s best to call an expert, like ourselves.
The customer journey at Enviro Waste
- Get in touch to discuss your battery waste requirements
- We can help with UPS/NiCad/Lead Acid/Lithium batteries
- The battery collection is organised at a convenient time and date for you
- Enviro Waste trucks and trained operatives arrive on site as planned to carry out the clearance
- The batteries are carefully loaded, taking all health, safety, and environmental measures into account
- You are left with a waste transfer note and other paperwork if from a commercial location
- The waste batteries are transported to our waste facility in Leyton, London
- Your batteries are unloaded and stored separately from other waste types to avoid contamination
- They are then sent for treatment to our partners in Halifax
Here at Enviro Waste, we handle a large number of hazardous waste jobs ourselves and store a large amount of hazardous waste here at our facility in Leyton, London. All of the recycling is done at specialist facilities that we have partnered depending on the waste types. We may not be the cheapest solution for hazardous waste, but beware. Those with the cheapest prices could be taking the worst shortcuts and doing all the wrong things to drive that price down. Our higher pricing allows us to put the environment first, protect the local community, support the local economy, contribute to excellent projects like the Ellen MacArthur Foundation and the Woodland Trust, give the higher quality of customer service and offer the most comprehensive and unique solutions for our valued customers.
I found Enviro Waste with an online search. I do not live in the area so needed a company who would provide a service quickly & efficiently, that is what I got. Helpful & understanding call handling and a team of two men who removed the waste quickly with good manners & appearance. I will highly recommend the company to anyone.