As many of you will probably know, the planet celebrated Earth Day this week – an annual celebration where events are held all over the globe, building support for environmental protection and encouraging people to ‘do their bit’.
Here at Enviro Waste, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that we wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment behind Earth Day, and we want to get involved! To show our support for the movement, we’ve put together some small, everyday ways in which we can all contribute to environmental protection – whether it’s at home or in the workplace. They may be small suggestions, but if we all got on board, you can guarantee the world would be looking a lot greener, fast! If you can think of any further tips, do let us know!
• Get composting! Position a compost heap in your garden, or get yourself a compost bin. All the food waste you throw out of your kitchen can go onto the compost heap, creating valuable, nutrient rich soil. Whether it’s egg shells, banana skins, fallen leaves or your grass trimmings, chuck it on the compost heap and do your bit!
• Reduce the amount of time you spend in your car. Use public transport or invest in a bike for a more eco-friendly way to travel. If you’re really reluctant to leave your car behind, why not try carpooling? This is a great way to reduce your emissions and make the world a little greener. If you can pick up your colleagues on the way to work, you could be cramming four separate car journeys into one vehicle!
• Make sure your workplace is recycling waste properly. Our London waste removal service is a great way to be certain that your waste won’t be dumped in landfill – it’s crucial to be responsible with the things we throw away when we’re at work.
• Shun plastic bags! Many supermarkets and shops now charge for plastic bags in a bid to encourage people to bring their own ‘bag for life’ alternatives. You could even re-use your old plastic bags rather than buying new ones every time – we know thousands of households all over the UK will have a special storage space for their spare plastic bags, so why not put them to good use!
• Have a clear-out at home. Get rid of all the rubbish and junk that you don’t need – our London waste disposal service makes it totally simple, and you’re contributing to protecting the environment along the way. We try to reuse or recycle as much of the waste we recover as possible, reducing the pressure on landfill sites and encouraging a circular economy – so by cleaning out your closets, you’re also helping to clean up the planet!
• Recycle as much paper as you can. Paper and cardboard make up a huge percentage of the UK wastage statistics – right now, 67% of the paper and cardboard used in the UK is recovered for recycling, but we’re sure that figure can be much higher! Our London waste clearance service is great not only for homes, but also offices, where paper archives are fast being ditched for ‘cloud’ options and online databases. If you’re getting rid of large volumes of paper, make sure you do so properly!
We’re always trying to contribute to the protection of the environment – the clue is in the name! We always practice what we preach, and our waste removal services put recycling and reusing items above all else. We’ll never throw waste into landfill if we think there’s more that can be done with it! For more information about our various services, contact one of our team today. And Happy Earth Day to you all!